Job Summary: This position assists the director of external affairs with outreach efforts to the conservative movement, facilitates communications between divisions, and oversees the intern program.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Assists with coalition efforts – gathering signatures, assisting with drafting letters, and conducting appropriate administrative follow-up
- Promotes, on a daily basis, MRC efforts:
- Promotes blogs and studies to conservative organizations and allies on the Hill
- Assists in researching speaking opportunities for MRC staff and MRC president; developing leads, and conducting administrative follow-up
- Assists with the promotion of Hispanic outreach efforts by promoting MRC Latino to conservative organizations, blogs, and conservative media
- Coordinates MRC Intern Program:
- Manages all recruiting and advertising efforts
- Attends Career Fairs
- Evaluates and reviews intern resumes; schedules personal interviews
- Makes candidate recommendations to department heads
- Establishes and facilitates intern training seminars/lunches
- Facilitates educational field trips
- Manages all clerical aspects of program, including: welcome packets, intern testimonials, schedules, time sheets, etc.
- Assists in outreach to conservative colleges to establish strategic relationships
- Assists with development efforts:
- Assists with outreach to corporations and associations: Researches and recommends possible new donors; Maintains meeting memos and tracks all follow up tasks in collaboration with development department
- Leads effort to improve and maintain impact report
- Constantly scans the MRC environment to recommend appropriate instances of cross-promotion within the organization
- Coordinates list exchanges with other conservative organizations as well as other areas of possible partnership
- Attends local conservative meetings and brings pertinent intel back to MRC: ATR, Conservative Working Groups, Cooler Heads coalition, LI Wednesday Wake UP Club, et al.
- Helps to create, maintain, and constantly improve Salesforce database of key contacts
- Prepares quarterly department Board Reports
Supervisory Responsibility (List all positions supervised):
- Develop objectives and duties for each internship outside of their department
- Meet with student prior to internship to discuss expectations.
- Facilitates along with department heads mid-internship and final internship evaluations.
- Meets with the student on a regular basis to give direction and feedback.
- Apprises political director or supervisor aware of any problems that arise during the internship.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
- Good interpersonal communication skills
- Solid writing skills
- Project management skills
- Database management
- Microsoft Office programs
- Technology to include PC, printers, copiers, etc.
Experience, Education and Credentials: Bachelors Degree preferred, plus 3 years of directly relevant work experience strongly preferred (occupational or career counseling, job placement services, youth advisor, etc.). More than 4 years of less relevant but appropriate work experience may also be considered.
Internal and External Relationships:
- Must have an excellent understanding of how the various departments work together within the MRC and how to optimize such cooperation
- Must have a basic understanding of and dedication to the conservative movement - networking events, key players, and key allies
Special Job Requirements/Other Remarks:
With this position, we are looking for a person with a unique skill set. The ideal employee will work to make MRC’s intern program the best in the conservative movement, while at the same time work with MRC’s political director to take the promotion of our work to the next level - working with our PR company to promote our work widely and more effectively to the conservative blogosphere.
Please contact the Director of External Affairs, Christian Robey, at email@example.com if you are interested in this position.