The Best of Notable Quotables; December 18, 1995
Table of Contents:
- The Best of Notable Quotables; December 18, 1995
- Until Every Child Is Dead
- Damn Conservatives
- Republicans Make Us Sick
- Afraid of the Competition
- Purveyors of Hate and Division
- Mathematical Disabilities
- Embodiment of All Evil
- Good Morning Morons
- I Still Hate Reagan
- Media Hero
- Not Guilty of Bias
- Mean-Spirited Republican
- It's OK for Us to Hate Them
- Eleanor Clift Award
- Politics of Meaninglessness
- Which Way Is It?
- Dumbest Quote of the Year
- 1995 Award Judges
Republicans Make Us Sick Award (for Irrational Fear of Less Regulation)
“Next week on ABC’s World News Tonight, a series of reports about our environment which will tell you precisely what the new Congress has in mind: the most frontal assault on the environment in 25 years. Is this what the country wants?”
– Peter Jennings in an ABC promo during the July 9 This Week with David Brinkley.
“This is deregulation madness! We’re gonna have dirty water, dirty air. OSHA regulations are being rolled back. There’s gonna be no competition in the telecommunications industry. And between local cable and local phone, there’s not gonna be competition at the present time. It’s gonna take awhile and there’s gonna be no regulation in the meantime. And so no, he [Clinton] can’t go along with this. And the people, the public isn’t going to go along with this. They don’t want E. coli bacteria in their drinking water.”
– Time columnist Margaret Carlson, August 5 CNN’s
“Safe food, safe water, safe air, safe transportation. You have this protection now, but you might be about to lose it. Why? Watch a special In Depth report on NBC Nightly News tomorrow.”
– July 17 NBC promo.
“There will be change, but most hope the original intent of the law will not be lost. Because if the plants and animals can’t survive, what future is there for the human species?”
– NBC reporter Roger O’Neil concluding a story on proposed
changes to the Endangered Species Act, July 28 Nightly News.