MediaWatch: February 1989
Table of Contents:
- MediaWatch: February 1989
- Study: Skewing Ronald Reagan's Legacy
- NewsBites: The Evening News Gurus
- Revolving Door: No Longer Speaking for the Speaker
- Abortion Distortion
- The Real Scoop On Koop
- Underwriting the Urban League
- Overtown Overtures
- Reporters Blast Reagan
- Janet Cooke Award: Reagan Bashing: ABC News
Reporters Blast Reagan
Here are a few examples of what some star reporters really think of Reagan, culled from recent interview shows:
- "I predict historians are going to be totally baffled by how the American people fell in love with this man and followed him the way we did." – CBS News reporter Lesley Stahl on NBC’s Later with Bob Costas, January 11.
- "I think there’s a question mark on the domestic policy: I think he left an uncaring society. . .a government that was not as concerned." – UPI White House reporter Helen Thomas on CBS News Nightwatch, December 30.
- "[Reagan’s] obsession with freedom abroad was not matched by any sense of justice at home for millions of Americans, and it is his lack of appreciation for the issues of equality, his failure to lead the nation toward healing in that area, is indeed also a part of his legacy and an unfortunate part." – Oakland Tribune Publisher Robert Maynard on ABC’s This week with David Brinkley, January 15.
- "But Lee, blacks have looked at the past eight years and seen this administration retreat from civil rights, retreat from affirmative action, make South Africa no priority, continue to see a greater disparity economically between blacks and whites, foster a spirit of racism that hasn’t been seen in 20 plus years. What make you think blacks are going to say, okay these [Republicans] are going to break with what used to be?" – Question from Bryant Gumbel to RNC Chairman Lee Atwater on NBC’s Today, January 19