Media Research Center
The Nationâ€™s Top Media Watchdog is Expanding and Looking for a Few Good Conservatives.
The Media Research Center keeps growing and so do the opportunities. Located in Reston, Virginia, the MRC works to bring political balance to the media, and to restore responsibility to the entertainment industry. The MRC also operates the popular news wire CNSNews.com. Application directions are found below.
The Media Research Center (www.mrc.org) is seeking a full time, fast-learning Drupal Web Developer with experience developing innovative websites and performing custom web development.
1-2 years experience with Drupal 6 or higher is required.
What you could do for us:
Â· Design, develop, and maintain company websites using Drupal 6 / 7
Â· Maintain and support existing systems and Drupal websites, and realize it is just as important and challenging as building new apps and websites
Â· Design and implement mobile friendly Drupal themes and functionality
Â· Design and implement email friendly HTML email newsletters
Â· Participate in project planning/estimation with IT team
Interns work closely with MRC analysts to monitor news programs for liberal media bias. They input details into the News Tracking System and also review assigned print publications. The interns participate in the News Divisionâ€™s weekly meetings and discuss current news and trends being documented. MRC Interns work in a professional environment to uncover the mediaâ€™s political agenda. Usually available year-round. For additional information and internship inquiries, please click here to visit our internship section.
Submit your resume with a cover letter and writing samples to Cheryl Michener, Intern Coordinator via fax to 703-683-9736 or email us. Information can also be mailed to 1900 Campus Commons Dr., Suite 600, Reston, VA 20191
News Analysis Division
News Analyst, MRC Latino
MRC Latino, the Hispanic media arm of the Media Research Centerâ€™s News Analysis Division, has an opening for a full-time News Analyst to identify and expose liberal media bias as it occurs on assigned Spanish-language network news, cable, Web and print outlets, through written English and Spanish-language analysis for the MRCâ€™s various media platforms, including the MRC NewsBusters.org blog (illustrated with video and/or screen shots), the MRC Latino Facebook page, BiasAlert and Media Reality Check; locate quotes for Notable Quotables; and perform research tasks for studies and Special Reports.
The position requires professionally proficient research, writing and verbal communication skills in both English and Spanish. Candidates should have exceptionally strong knowledge of, and interest in, political perspectives from right to left, be close followers of current events and regular consumers of the news media and thus able to recognize and explain liberal media bias.
Applicants must be willing and able to work during weekday evening newscast and Sunday talk show programming hours.
Interested candidates should send a cover letter expressing their interest, resume and references to: Ken Oliver-MĂ©ndez, Director, MRC Latino, at: firstname.lastname@example.org.
Part-Time Sports Media Blogger
MRC Culture is looking for a few part-time, sports-addicted conservative bloggers to monitor sports media with an eye on cultural issues. Bloggers will scan ESPN; network sports casts; pre- and post-game shows; asinine Bob Costas half-time lectures; Grantland, Deadspin, and other popular sports blogs; sports columnists; Sports Illustrated, etc.
We care about attacks on â€śhyper-masculineâ€ť sports cultures and traditions, political correctness (think Red Skins name troubles), attacks on prayer and Christian athletes, sports and politics (whoâ€™s Obama golfing with this week?), Michael Sam, Ray Rice, Roger Goodell, Charles Barkley, Tim Tebow, Dennis Rodman, A-Rod, Greg Oden, Jameis Winston, Johnny Football, brush-back pitches, end zone dance idiocy, â€śthe gay Jackie Robinson,â€ť Augusta National, Title IX, role-models, NFL police blotters, steroids, trash-talking, Super Bowl ads, examples of class and the lack thereof.
Please send cover e-mail, resume and writing samples to Managing Editor Matt Philbin. email@example.com
Part-Time Permanent TV Blogger
MRC Culture is seeking a permanent, part-time blogger to monitor and blog about TV â€“ the good, the bad and the ugly. This blogger will work 20 hours per week, watching entertainment TV shows, writing about them, clipping video and posting as appropriate.
Candidate must own or have access to a TV and actually enjoy watching it. He or she will keep current with trends and entertainment news and be willing to take ownership of MRC Cultureâ€™s entertainment TV. Familiarity with video clipping software is very helpful.
MRC Culture is socially conservative and documenting anti-traditional incidents or forays into liberal propagandizing on popular TV shows is part of the job â€“ but only part. Weâ€™re also interested in cool stuff, plot twists, cameos, great performances, cliff-hangers, etc., and having them blogged in a pithy and entertaining manner. (Again, actually liking TV is helpful.)
Please submit cover e-mail, resume and writing samples to Matt Philbin, managing editor of MRC Culture. firstname.lastname@example.org.
The Media Research Center, a conservative media analysis non-profit, is seeking a Senior Researcher/Analyst to write for its MRC Business department. Job requires research experience, attention to detail, experience with spreadsheets and/or databases and a knowledge of how to research nonprofit funding â€“ 990s, political donations, SEC filings and more. Candidate will be responsible for original research and writing up results in a deadline-oriented environment. Familiarity with news and news organizations, as well as background in liberal nonprofits helpful. Research experience essential. Writing experience a plus. Apply to: Dan Gainor, VP for Business and Culture, Media Research Center email@example.com.
Video Content Specialist/Blogger
Produce interesting, witty, topical multimedia blogs to attract engage, entertain, and inform blog readers. Find, aggregate and comment on compelling Web videos, news, OpEds, studies and other content. Position provides opportunity to conduct interviews and help produce parody videos and be creative. Use social media to monitor comments by celebrities, politicians and other newsmakers, as well as to promote blogs and attract readers.
The ideal candidate:
- Is creative, articulate, and aggressive,
- Has strong writing and Web research skills
- Can spot and highlight the â€śhookâ€ť buried in videos, articles, commentaries, transcripts, quotes, studies and other online content,
- Can create accurate, witty, articulate, compelling blogs,
- Can find, capture, edit and post informative, interesting videos,
- Has strong social media skills
- Has an engaging sense of humor,
- Is a politically savvy, conservative new media news consumer,
- Can contribute effective suggestions of ways to increase readership by adding new types of entertaining, informative, topical and pop culture site content,
- Has on-air experience
Send cover letter and resume to: CBannister@mrc.org
No Currently Open Positions
Aspiring journalists learn basic hands-on news reporting skills, with heavy emphasis on balance. Working at CNS enables interns to get "real world" experience in the high-speed atmosphere of a newsroom. Interns for CNS also learn to network with conservative organizations and assist them with getting their news and perspectives reported by CNS.
Submit your resume with a cover letter and writing samples to Claire Chretien, Intern Coordinators via fax to 571-357-0099 or email us. Information can also be mailed to 1900 Campus Commons Dr. #600, Reston, VA 20191.
Major Donor & Planned Giving Solicitor
Conservative non-profit media organization based in Reston, VA seeks an experienced Major Donor & Planned Giving Solicitor to manage a portfolio of major donor prospects, along with managing our Planned Giving Program. This important position fosters, develops, and maintains relationships with high-level donors, and continually strategizes to identify, cultivate and solicit prospects capable of making four, five and six figure contributions. As the Planned Giving Coordinator, the Associate leads outreach to donors to educate them on various Planned Giving options, along with leading training and collaboration among his/her Solicitor colleagues.
Responsibilities include: Nationwide travel up to 50% for donor solicitation, daily telephone calls to prospects, as-needed prospect research, maintaining accurate donor information through extensive use of Raiserâ€™s Edge, and collaboration with support staff on mail merges, thank you letter distribution and travel requirements. Additionally, attendance of Team meetings and on-going coordination among Solicitor colleagues to ensure shared responsibility of meeting department budget is a must.
Qualifications: Bachelorâ€™s Degree in a related field with 3+ years of proven success in managing and growing a Major Donor portfolio, along with demonstrated knowledge and success in targeted Planned Giving programs within a non-profit environment. Excellent written, oral and inter-personal skills a must with an advanced knowledge of Raiserâ€™s Edge software. Understanding of and philosophical connection to the Conservative Movement is preferred.
About Us: The mission of the MRC is to identify and expose unbalanced new reporting, and to create a media culture where truth and liberty flourish in America. Leaders of America's conservative movement have long believed that within the national news media a strident liberal bias existed that influenced the public's understanding of critical issues.
For consideration please email resume and cover letter to Thom Golab. Position open until filled; no phone calls please. We are an Equal Opportunity Employer.
Secretary to the Board of Trustees
The Secretary of the Board of Trustees assists the Development Department in cultivating and securing the financial resources necessary to carry out the mission of the organization. This is done primarily through the execution of the Trustees Program and facilitating personal meetings with Trustees and other major donors.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Ensuring Trustees and Associates receive the proper communications by way of Presidentâ€™s Reports, special mailings, Special Reports, financial reports, phone calls, emails, etc.;
- Facilitating and implementing the Trustee Program;
- Assisting the Manager of Events in the planning and executing of fundraising events: Annual Meeting, Gala, Regional Meetings, and Trustee hosted events;
- Assisting the Vice President for Development in departmental strategic planning;
- Strong communication skills both written and verbal for communicating with Trustees, other donors, staff, and vendors;
- Extreme organization skills to assist in maintaining the Development Departmentâ€™s calendar and activities.
- 1-3 years of related fundraising experience (preferred)
Web Graphic Designer
Media Research Center (MRC) has an immediate opening for a web graphic designer to support its expansive marketing operation. The MRC is a not-for-profit conservative media watchdog organization located in Reston, Virginia. The MRC operates four websites, sends 15 million emails each month, and has a broad footprint in social media, with over six million Facebook fans and over 300,000 Twitter followers. The web graphic designer reports directly to the CMO and is part of a fast-paced, results-oriented marketing team that works well together. Preference will be given to candidates who strongly support the mission of the MRC and conservative causes.
Interested candidates should submit ALL THREE of the following to firstname.lastname@example.org:
- Cover letter explaining why you want to work at the Media Research Center
- Portfolio (live url or PDF attachments only please)
- Lay out and create graphics for company's print and web marketing efforts, including brochures, reports, logos, web banners, landing pages, print ads, stationery, business cards, and other jobs
- Collaborate with other departments to support their graphics needs and bring their work to life
- Work directly with printers to negotiate quotes and ensure jobs are completed on time and correctly
- Keep abreast of emerging technologies, new ideas, and solutions for how to creatively develop high quality materials
- Ensure that all graphic design work follows corporate identity guidelines
- BA/BFA in Graphic Design or a related field
- A minimum of 2 years web/graphic design experience with a strong portfolio of work
- Strong graphic design skills and artistic sense for graphics and typography
- Must be fluent in Adobe Creative Suite products: Photoshop, Illustrator, InDesign, Dreamweaver, and Flash
- Proficient in Microsoft Office
- Experience with HTML and CSS
- Experience with Drupal, After Effects a plus
- Experience designing style guides a plus
- Sense of ownership to drive creative projects from inception, through development, implementation, QA, and launch
- Excellent written and oral communication skills, proofreading and editing skills
- Excellent time management, organizational and problem solving skills
- Experience with Drupal, After Effects a plus
- Experience designing style guides a plus
Preference will be given to candidates who strongly support the mission of the MRC and conservative causes.
Grassroots and Field Operations Manager
The Grassroots and Field Operations Manager is responsible for planning and executing all efforts to activate the MRCâ€™s online army of members, subscribers, fans, and followers in order to amplify the work and mission of the Media Research Center and build awareness for the organization. Performance will be measured by measuring citizen actions and impact.
Additionally, in preparation for the 2016 elections, the Grassroots and Field Operations Manager is responsible for hiring and training a team of 10-12 field representatives by the end of 2015. The field teamâ€™s primary objective is to use grassroots tactics to raise public awareness of liberal bias in the mediaâ€™s coverage of the primaries, debates, and campaigns. Once the team is in place, the Grassroots and Field Operations Manager will direct and supervise the day-to-day activities of each field representative to maximize their impact. Performance will be measured by the teamâ€™s effectiveness at making media bias a top campaign issue in 2016.
Candidates should have an understanding of core conservative values and beliefs and strong planning, tracking, and writing skills. A passion for results is a must. If youâ€™re not motivated by delivering tangible results, this isnâ€™t the job for you.
Primary Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop and execute an ongoing email messaging schedule to keep our 700,000 MRC Action team members engaged and aware of the work of the MRC
- Coordinate with IT/Graphic Design to develop and maintain web pages in support of grassroots activities, including the MRC Action website, sign-up pages, petitions, and donation pages
- Continuously test and improve communications methods and tactics to drive higher membership, greater participation in grassroots activities, and increased donations from members
- Coordinate video messages and periodic live chats for our members with MRCâ€™s president/founder
- Coordinate with Development to support online fundraising efforts and to align grassroots messaging with other external MRC communications (e.g., direct mail)
- Identify, hire, and train a team of 10-12 field representatives by the end of 2015
- Direct and supervise the day to day activities of the team of MRC field reps, including:
- Identifying events around the country where field reps can have the most impact
- Arranging travel and accommodations for all field reps
- Coordinating daily calls with each field rep to ensure they understand their goals and objectives for the day
- Arrange for timely production and delivery of MRC collateral to support field activities across the country
- Keep detailed records of all field expenses with receipts
â—Ź Monitor performance of MRC field reps
â—‹ Establish clear deliverables and performance measures
â—‹ Provide incentives and recognition as necessary
â—Ź Serve as central point of contact at MRC HQ for field reps
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities:
â—Ź Basic understanding of core conservative values and beliefs and a commitment to the mission of the MRC
â—Ź Highly organized and efficient
â—Ź Experience managing and maintaining large email lists, uploading names, applying filters, etc.
â—Ź Accessible as needed nights and weekends (supporting a field team requires that a problem with a hotel at 11pm on a Sunday be dealt with at that time)
â—Ź Strong writing and editing skills
â—Ź Record of delivering measurable results
â—Ź Solid analytical skills
â—Ź Experience with Microsoft Excel for tracking/monitoring travel expenses precisely
â—Ź Solid communications and interpersonal skills; ability to work across divisions
â—Ź Experience directing the activities of outside vendors to meet deadlines and achieve objectives
Experience, Education and Credentials:
â—Ź 4-year degree
â—Ź 2-4 years minimum related experience
â—Ź Experience on at least one campaign
â—Ź Reside in or willing to relocate to Northern Virginia
â—Ź Experience managing college-age staff a plus
* For full-time positions: Excellent benefits and salary commensurate with experience.
HOW TO APPLY
Send a cover letter and resume to:
David Martin, Executive Director
Media Research Center
1900 Campus Commons, Reston, VA 20191
or Fax (571) 357-0099