1) CompuServe has
solved the problem that led to all those Apparently To lines that many of
you received in the last four CyberAlerts. I've tested messages to two
non-CompuServe e-mail addresses I have and all seems to work as it did
before this problem arose in mid-December.
Since the last CyberAlert my computer, on which the address list is saved,
died. As a result, with the help of interns Joe Alfonsi and Jessica
Anderson, we've restored the list from a couple of weeks old back up copy.
But, some of you may now get two copies and others who had unsubscribed
may be on the list. Please reply and we'll fix the error.